Daudi Mtoto Nzuri

When i traveled to Africa back in 2006 I knew it would be life changing, but I underestimated just how much the trip would change me. I worked at an amazing center for street children called Amani where I met some of the most amazing children ever. I worked with on their English, their reading and had the pleasure of playing and eating with them on a daily basis. The stories of these children's lives are heartbreaking, inspirational, and astounding. The Tanzanian people were some of the happiest and most generous people I've ever met. Welcoming us into their homes, their lives, and blessing us with gifts- even if it was the only possession they had to offer. I could talk forever about my trip there and I wish I had some better pictures right now, I'll have to find that disk. But here are a few.

The reason Amani is on my mind again is because of a very special little boy I met named Daudi. Daudi's story is sad. When I went to Africa, I did not specifically have a heart for autistic children, but from day one, Daudi and I had a special connection. I spent time every morning working with him through music, routine and praise. Since I left he has developed and grown so much! I looked into adopting Daudi and unfortunately that is not the Lord's plan for me. But yesterday Amani posted a new picture of Daudi on Facebook and I was able to see his sweet face again. I think about him every day and I miss his sweet smile and his gentle eyes. I am so happy to see he is learning so much and I pray wholeheartedly that I am able to go back to Africa and see him again.

Until then, I have some sweet pictures, some wonderful memories and a huge place in my heart for that little guy. Daudi will always be mtoto yangu...



Daudi 2006

Daudi 2012

Comments

  1. so sweet gina! you have such a big heart. love this. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts