Thanks

We learn a lot from our parents, a lot about how to act in specific relationships. Some people learn what they do NOT want to do, in their marriage, in their parenting. But some of us are lucky; we learn what to do right. We learn what's important in a marriage, and we learn what is loving in parenting. I'm one of those people. When I look back on my childhood and my (ever-growing) relationships with my parents, it's so much clearer as a grown up to see the good they did and the hard work they put in. The sacrifices, the compromises, the discipline, the tears, the trials, the refining and the encouraging.


We've been trying to get healthy over here in my house. We started on Advocare and are really enjoying it. Hand in hand with our new vitamins and supplements is healthy eating. Rice cakes, rice crackers, rice chips, natural peanut butter, reading labels, gluten free (or trying) items, etc. I remember as a kid, my brother had a HUGE sensitivity to artificial flavors, colors and preservatives. My mom worked so hard to still find delicious and yummy snacks and food for us. She was way ahead of the pack when it came to health food. I remember snacking on rice cakes, I remember fruit LEATHERS-not fruit snacks, I remember homemade EVERYTHING- do you know how time consuming that it? Making sure my brother had a special treat every time a kid brought in cupcakes at school. Bringing fresh fruit as a snack for soccer games, even when we begged for Doritos and Capri suns. She did this because she cared. And because we were a priority. Our HEALTH was a priority to her. Thank you, mom.

See that table?

It may not be anything special to you, but it is to me. To me, that table is where I sat night after night with my dad. Using super cool mechanical pencils he brought home from work as he tried to help math make sense to me. I remember he did every single problem with me. We had two sets of paper and he sat tirelessly with me explaining the same concepts over and over. If you look REALLY closely at the table, you'll probably see some of those problems etched in the wood. He also taught me to put a book under my paper :) Dad, I still am no good at math, but you taught me so much. I know it wasn’t easy to sit there and be patient and repeat yourself over and over, but you did it anyway. Thank you for your dedication and for your time.

My parents worked through so much. They worked through moving 10 hours from any family. Then they worked through the 10 hour drive in one weekend with two kids to get back home and not miss important events. They worked through long hours/night shift at work. They worked through my awful temper tantrums as a 5 year old, swallowing their pride and going to a therapist for me because it was what I needed. They worked through the inconvenience of living 45 minutes from our parish and still took us to mass every Sunday, CCD every week, and volunteer projects constantly. They worked through cancelled vacations and constantly changing schedules to be at every game, concert, performance and important event so my brother and I always had a fan in the stands. They worked their butts off to build the house of their dreams and then sold it so they could send us to a great high school and move closer so our drive was safer. My parents aren’t perfect…they’re parents. But they laid a pretty amazing foundation for my brother and I to build on. They worked to love each and to love us every day. And really, what more can you ask for?

I love this song. It's written/performed by an old family friend and I used to love listening to it with my parents. My mom still waves everytime we leave...


Thanks

Thanks for keepin' track of me
Thanks for givin' a dang about me
Thanks for sayin' that You love me
Thanks, just thanks

Thanks for lettin' me know You care
Thanks for always bein' there
Thanks for making me do my share
Thanks, just thanks

Can't thank You enough
I'm high from You liftin' me up

Thanks for sayin' what You said
Thanks for clearin' out my head
Thanks for givin' me hope instead
Thanks, just thanks

Thanks You left me who I was
Thanks You showed me what a smile does
Thanks You loved me just because
Thanks, just thanks

Thanks for cryin' when I bleed
Thanks for wavin' when I leave
Thanks for bein' what I believe
Thanks, just thanks

Comments

  1. that made me cry cherish ever moment with your parents because one day they might not be there and i am sure your blog made your parents proud you and barnard are an amazing couple so blessed and such a true blessing to so many just reading your blog blesses me in so many way when you go to heaven one day god is deff going to tell you well done good and faithful servant

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm pretty sure your parents are bubbling over with joy from this post! your parents are great, and you are truly blessed! and they are pretty darn good grandparents too! so glad they raised you the way they did, so that I get to be the friend of the beautiful woman you are now!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts