Anything for a Buck


Last weekend we took the kids to the Tennessee Renaissance Festival for the first time ever. As we were walking out, a policeman flagged me down. “Ma’am, do you have any sunscreen in your bag?” Ha. What was your first clue? The 5 kids in tow? Why yes, yes, I do kind sir. So I sprayed down the officer (who, bless his heart, was already burned) and felt slightly pleased with myself that I didn’t have a panic attack when directly addressed by law enforcement. 

I’ve only been pulled over twice in my life (knock on wood.) Once, while rushing (read: speeding) home to deal with a post-African parasite issue- thank you God for an understanding and sympathetic officer. The second time was total bull crap. I had stopped by a friend’s house to deliver breakfast after the loss of her grandmother. Granted, I may have parked on the wrong side of the street, but as I backed into her driveway to leave, a cop drove by and pulled me over. He ending up writing me a ticket for DRIVING ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD. Seriously?! I even cried. Like a lot. I still got a ticket. I was in college and had zero extra money to pay for my ticket. I was already working as a Resident Assistant at Auburn and cutting hair on the side, but I needed quick cash fast. 

So, I did what any thrifty college student in my shoes would have done to try and scrape up some extra cash. No. This was legal. I entered a singing competition. It had been years since I had done any sort of public singing outside of church, but it went well, I had a great cheering section, and I won the money I needed! 

Clip below for your viewing pleasure. Be warned- the end is off tune, but I got it done and it’s kinda fun when the kids want to pull this up from YouTube these days.


Moral of the story? Apparently sunscreen is a better ticket-deterrent than tears. And when in doubt, sing your way into some cash.





Comments

Popular Posts