5 years and St Pete

This past Saturday felt like I was in college again. But with spending money! A weekend with my hubby being spoiled and not having a care in the world...

Bernard and I have been saving up so we could go away and celebrate our anniversary together alone this year. When he won "soldier of the quarter" a few months back, his title came with some pretty sweet swag, including a free hotel stay that we cashed-in on this weekend. Cindy, my mother in law, came over early Saturday morning to get the run down and watch the kids for us. I was able to nurse Brent and get him down for his first nap before we headed out.

Then it was just me and my man and the open road.

No KidsBop. No screaming babies. No handing snacks or toys to the back seat. Just me and B and some comedy radio. Our first stop was Mazarro's Italian Market in St Pete. I had been here once before, but had been wanting to take B out here forever. What is usually super crowded on a Saturday morning held only a few other customers last weekend. So, we took our time drooling over wines, prepared italian favories and the huge display case of pasteries. We pieced together an unconventional breakfast of deli meats, biscotti, caprese salad, a risotto cake and some coffee. As we ate on the back patio, the highlight for me was sharing a little bit of Italy with my hubby. When I lived in Ariccia, we ate the popular street food Porchetta at least twice a week. I've never seen it anywhere but my little town in Italy. And even though I'm used to it looking more like this:
Mazarro's had porchetta! Eating a porchetta sandwich with Bernard felt like I was able to hand him a piece of my time in Italy, something I've always wished he could've experienced with me.

After our breakfast we headed over to the Dali Museum. I became intruigued with his work in college while visiting Imma in Spain and was so excited to see some more of his work with B. The museum is beautiful! It was so much fun to walk around and chat/joke about the paintings with B. If you've never seen Dali's work, google him :)

After that we walked around downtown St Pete and B let me peruse through every vintage clothing store I wanted to. We also checked out an awesome wine bar called A Taste for Wine before checking into our hotel. We ejoyed an early dinner (like an old married couple!) at Bahama Breeze, one of B's favorites and then went to mass, walked around Channelside before turning in to watch the Michigan, Auburn and FSU games.

The next morning we went for a little morning run for the first time EVER in preparation for the Color Run in December. Before we headed back to our kiddos we tried out the Brunchery- SUPER yummy!

Simple joys, nothing fancy, but I wouldn't have changed a thing.

Comments

  1. So glad y'all got to do that!! NOW do it every year from here on out! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Glad to hear about your fab weekend! BUT. I'm super jealous. Two kids makes it a lot harder to find time for each other, I'm finding. Have a great weekend w/ your fam!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun! Ya'll are just like me and Tadd on a trip...it all revolves around the vittles!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts