Making it clear and making a change

As summer comes to an end, I have to admit it feels so different this time around. We had a fabulous summer packed with trips to the beach, to Tennessee, visits to and from family and lots of pool days. But this summer also marked the beginning of something huge for our family. After almost 7 years in the military, B and I have decided it’s time for us to move on. We’ve been praying for a long time about whether or not to get out of the military, we we 99% sure of our decision and then came our orders for Korea. That’s right. Not a deployment, just orders for B to go alone for 1 year. I think God was making sure we understood we were making the right choice.

Our house went up on the market on July 1 and we are moving forward with moving on. It’s a little bit terrifying to be honest. Sure we’ve moved, but it always came with a job, health insurance and a housing allowance. This time we’re choosing where we go, but we’ll essentially be starting over.

In His ever faithful manner, The Lord has decided to give us a test run. In the last few months, almost all of my dear friends have moved away. I supposed this is what happens when you enter year 3 at any military assignment. So even though we’re someone familiar, we’re back to the basics. And it’s what we need. Building our family foundation before we move. He’s encouraging B and I to really lean on each other as best friends and spouses. In an exciting turn of events (enter sarcasm and a bit of fear) He’s also showing me that I need to spend more time with Gabs. Gabbi has completed 3yr old and 4 yr old preschool. Academically she is prepared for Kindergarten. However, I just did not have a peace about her starting Kindergarten at age 4 and then one day being that 13 year old in a class full of 15 year olds. We talked to a lot of family and friends in similar situations, we prayed a lot- in fact I prayed that if we were supposed to hold Gabbi back this year, that the Lord would make it completely obvious and that he would soften B’s heart to the idea of it all. Then we were given 10 weeks of kindergarten lesson plans from a friend during an out of town visit. Out of nowhere. Well, I guess that’s pretty clear. When I got the nerve up to talk to B about my perfectly pieced together explanation for why we should hold her back, he responded, “You’re totally right. I agree with everything you said, but she’s really smart, we cant just take a year off, so I think we need to research homeschooling.” Um what? How many times have I said, “I would never…” He certainly has a sense of humor doesn’t he? But with moving halfway through the school year it makes the most sense.


So here we are, showing our house, preparing to tackle this at-home-in-between-years supplement, preparing for a move.  A new career for B. A new home for the kids. A new life for us all. And a community and church waiting with open arms for us. Franklin, we can’t wait!

Comments

  1. I'm so excited for you and so happy to see how God is working in your lives. XO

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts