Catching Up


I have been so bad about blogging. And whether or not anyone reads these, it makes me feel better, fresher, almost when I take the time to write. So there are several things I’ve been wanting to write about that I’m REALLY late on, but I’m going to start tonight with Bernard’s R&R.

I think I just never let myself really believe that he was coming home until it happened. I remember doing a Tupperware party two nights before he was due in and getting sidetracked at the thought that in 48 hrs my husband would be back by my side. Once B left the Middle East, there wouldn’t be an opportunity to hear from him until he was a flight or two away and already in the states. I woke up on Thursday morning expecting a call around 7:30 telling me he’d be in Nashville around noon. Instead the call really came, but with better news. Bernard was put on an earlier flight and would be in Nashville by 10am! I had tried to leave things undone to distract myself with a to-do list Thursday morning and now there was no time…I headed to the airport with unpainted toenails and a very excited heart.

When I got to the airport, my mom dropped me off at the counter and parked with Gabbi. I started to explain my situation to the lady assisting the Delta line, and she quickly ushered me to the front of the line to get a pass to meet Bernard at his gate. Only 15 minutes later, he was walking toward me. Ten minutes later, Gabbi was in his arms and my heart was melting.

R&R is exactly what we needed. It made us realize that no matter how much time passed, nothing had changed. It also made us realize that 6 months had flown by. In the next few days we had the privilege of a photo session with the AMAZING Quinn Ballard. He was such an answer to our prayers and he took the most phenomenal pictures of our beautiful family.

We had a great visit with Bernard’s family, complete with Gabbi’s first trip to the Opryland hotel, which I think is now called the Gaylord hotel or something like that. She loved it. And then the three of us, just Bernard, Gabbi and I, got to go to Fall Creek Falls for a wonderful FIRST family vacation. We fed squirrels, roasted marshmallows, played on playgrounds, collected rocks, watched The Office, cooked dinner, and built fires. It was nothing like we envisioned and so much more amazing that we could have expected.

We ended B’s trip home with some visits with friends, Blake’s b-day party, drinks with Rhys and Theresa, Emily and Walt’s engagement toast, and a very fun night of margaritas at Pancho’s.

Saying goodbye was really hard. I’m not going to lie and say that the visit made it easier. If anything it made it more frustrating to have to say goodbye again after only 18 days. But, in the same respect…what a blessing. 18 days to touch his face and watch him play with Gabbi and to hear his laugh and sleep next to him- R&R’s are the only thing that makes a deployment worthwhile.

Two months (ish) later, we are fortunate enough to Skype almost every day. Gabbi gets done with breakfast in the morning and walks into the office, points to the computer, and asks for dada. August feels far away, but it holds so much to look forward to. We appreciate all the kind words and thoughtful messages while Bernard was home and after he left. We ask for everyone’s continued prayers for safety and for an early return home. Genesis 31:49 SHMILY

Comments

Popular Posts