10 Seemingly Cliche Lessons I Learned in the Last 30 Years

Last month I turned 30. Can you believe it? Neither could I. I had a lot of people ask me if I am where I thought I’d be at 30-or where I wanted to be at this point in my life. I honestly didn’t know how to answer them. I don’t know that I ever really looked at my life that far down the road. I can say without a doubt that I am so incredibly happy. I feel blessed to be living where we are, to have traveled like I have, to have survived the experiences and challenges that The Lord has thrown my way and to come out on top with my best friend by my side and 3little ones to tuck in at night. Whether or not this is what I expected 30 to be, it’s marvelous. And I’ve learned a few things along the way. When you become a grownup, a wife, a mom, you sacrifice some of your hobbies. I never had a lot of hobbies, but writing is something that I have always enjoyed. So even though it’s been a year and a half since my last blog entry, today I’m taking the time to write again and put into words 10 seemingly cliché things I learned in the last 30 years.

Forgiveness is a repetitive decision

I’ve lived a lot of my life in the black and white. This is right and this is wrong. I have been quick to write people off or wring my hands when someone has done something that I feel has wronged me or someone dear to me. The thing is, that’s not “very Christian”. We turn away from God every day and He never gives up on us. So “forgiving” someone is more than just saying you have- it’s continuing to love them through it. To give them a second, third, 7times70 chance. It may mean waking up every morning and CHOOSING to forgive them again. And you know what? It’s worth it


Comparison is the thief of Joy

I used to know who said that. Google it, I’m just too busy trying to type before the baby needs to nurse or the Batman episode ends. ANYWAY- this. Yes, every day. Amen. Everyone has their own stuff- their own joys and blessings and their own trials and skeletons. FB makes it easy to mask reality and make you think everyone else is in a dream world. They’re not. Focus on your life, your faith, your family. There is great joy in your own journey.


Judging someone else’s journey gets you nowhere

This continues from the previous for me. Judging others is one of the easiest things to do. I can do it with a glance, a thought, a rolling of my eye or a gossiped story. The fact of the matter is, it is NOT our place and it will get you nowhere by playing judge to someone else’s story. Unless your intention is to lock arms and walk the road with them, keep your mouth shut.


Your word is your legacy

This to me is huge. One day after I’m gone, my children may forget the features of my face. They may forget the song I sing them at bedtime. They may forget the way I smell (when I get a chance to shower…) but I believe they’ll never forget my word. What I say to them in anger and in love leaves a lasting mark on their being and I get to choose how I want to be remembered. The same goes for first impressions, for friendship-whether they’re in your path for a reason, a season or a lifetime- and for reputations. You’re only as good as your word. Speak truth, speak love, speak life.

Family isn’t always convenient

But they’re always worth it. Distance, differences, and a million other reasons can keep you from making the effort. Do it anyway. Family is so important and in our disposable society it’s important to me to remember that family isn’t disposable. Make the effort and ditch the excuses.


Spread out your prayers

I’ll never forget the first time my Aunt told me this. There will be times in life when you cannot form the words for prayer, when maybe you’re too mad at God to even pray. This is when spreading out your prayers is so important. Allow others to pray for you and with you. There is strength in numbers and there is power in prayer.


Life is too short for mindless drama

I’m all for being a good example and challenging each other within friendships. However, aintnobodygottime for mindless drama. This includes unhealthy friendships, gossip, getting caught up in the little things and lying. I have 3 little ones who need me at my best so I need people who will sharpen me and challenge me and lift me up. You deserve the same.


Everyone will disappoint you (Set reasonable expectations)

This is something I tell all engaged couples. Your spouse will disappoint you. It’s because we’re human and we’re not perfect and it’s not fair to put unreasonable expectations on each other. Give people grace and see #1


Take a leap of faith

At least once in your life JUST DO IT.  Forget the pros and cons, the reasonable, the fears, the what-ifs and just JUMP. I’ve gotten to do this a few times.  Spending a summer in Africa, studying abroad in Italy, dating a boy who lived 3 states away and I hardly even knew…they’re some of the best choices I ever made.


Follow your heart

I believe that everyone has that still small voice in them. Call it intuition, gut, conscience, heart, or the Holy Spirit. Whatever you call it, listen to it. It will rarely steer you wrong.






Comments

  1. Chills and tears. You are wise beyond your 30 years my friend. Keep writing. And a few of your things listed here are exactly why I'm not on FB. Love you friend!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts